Thursday, July 7, 2011

LAWNMOWER WARS

I know, it's been a long time, but I'm ready to come back.  Actually, my main problem was losing the chord that hooks the camera to the computer to download pictures.  I finally broke down and bought an adapter.
So, life on the farm goes on, but it is rough by myself.  I am really proud of what I have accomplished so far, but I have a long way to go.  In the meantime, I lead the typical farmer's life, which means when you have a project to get done, the equipment usually fails and you have to spend a day working on it before you can even start.
Why is it that when you have three lawnmowers, not one of them is working?
Here is Ladybug with two flat tires.  I just need a jack to lift it and get the tires off so I can take them in to have tubes put in.  Just.  Around here, I have at least three of everything, but can I find a jack?  I'm usually tripping over them.  Then it occurred to me I had one in the car!!!



And here is the Jane Dear.  I won't tell you all of the problems I've had with her.  Today, I had baling twine wrapped around the blades.  My dear friend who has planted flowers in one of my fields just doesn't understand the importance of picking up every little piece of twine.

So, there I was, lying on my side with my arms under the mower; I felt like I was delivering a baby alpaca.  My arms in up to the pits, feeling around for the legs, er, twine.  I finally cut the twine loose and this is what was born:





And here is the oldest model who moved here with me from Lynnwood over 10 years ago.  The racoons have chewed on the gas cap, which allows water into the gas.  I will buy a new cap today.  The big problem is that the starter chord broke.  Now, I could call on one of my neighbor men to help me with this, but I am stubborn, and I am determined to fix this myself.

I have a family reunion here on Saturday, so getting my lawn mowed is sort of a priority right now, along with preparing the picnic chicken.  Yum.

You know me and scarecrows.  This one was left over from last Fall.  I just added a new shirt, some baling twine braids, and a hat.

Found this wedding gown at a thrift shop for next to nothing, so we have a demure little bride now.

This little character has been moved to the fence.  She looked like she was hanging there, so now I have her climbing the fence like all good children are not supposed to do.
Summer finally arrived last weekend, and the flowers are blooming and the weeds are growing.
I have leased 7 acres of land to an Organic farming  group called Growing Washington.  It's great to see them out here working, and they have already planted the back 5 acres.  Now I'm working on finding someone to hay the rest of the land.
Each day is a new challenge and a new victory.  I am thrilled to be doing what I am doing, but I'm getting a little tired.
Sounds like time for another vacation!!!!

6 comments:

Pat said...

I'm glad to see you back...but sorry about the lawnmower issues today. (I did have to laugh at that "stuff" that came out of the green mower, though!!!) Your scarecrows are great. Be sure to take photos at the family picnic at your place on Saturday.....I'm sure many of us would love to see them! Keep on going...and growing...my friend! Hugs to you, as always.

Barb said...

You never cease to amaze me....I hope you have fun at the family reunion...what a great place to have it...alot of work for you but great place.

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

You do keep busy - but sorry that so much of it is taking care of those lawnmowers. I love your scare crows.

Take a break now and then - and enjoy the family this weekend.

Cathy said...

I have missed hearing about you, but think about you more often that you’ll know. It’s good that you are doing well and meeting the challenges; you are a strong woman and a great lady. I sooooo admire you, Dear One. Wish I was closer in order to stop by now and then and lend a hand. And probably learn a thing or two in the process, hehe. Love those scarecrows, by the way. Hugs, Cathy

andsewon said...

I was just thinking of you yesterday. Wondering how all was going these days. I see you are busy as always! Love the scrows!Yes sometimes it is a case of what can go wrong will go wrong!!
Wishing you all lovely weather for the reunion on Sat.
Hugs,
Lola

Marcia L said...

HI LINDA, Everything looks great!