Sunday, February 12, 2012

Merriweather Lewis I am NOT


I am house sitting for my brother for a few days, waiting for my eye surgery coming up in 8 days.  At the end of his driveway is the head of a trail that goes down to the shopping center of this island community.  I decided I would take this trail every day, starting yesterday.
WELL.

Above is the entrance to the trail.


The trail does not just go DOWN to the shopping center, it also goes UP.


And UP.

Okay so it eventually went down, and I did make it to the center.  I had some grocery shopping to do and filled my postman's bag up before heading back.

So off I went, but it always seemed as if I was going UP.  How could That be?
At one point I looked up and saw that I still had to make it to the ridge as shown below.

Then I noticed that there were little clumps of lichen lying all about the path. Lichen is supposed to produce a lovely shade of lavender dye.   So, not only was I walking vigorously, I was bending over to pick up lichen about every 5-10 feet.  It's a good thing I had my hat with me.
So finally, I am climbing and climbing and I see still more stairs ahead of me.

Well, it seems that I was supposed to turn left before I got to this last series of stairs.

When I got to the top of these stairs, I was nowhere near my brothers house.  I finally had to call him and ask him where I was.  Oh, about half a mile away.
So, I got home and had about 30 minutes to take a shower and get ready to meet the family at the Spud in
Alki.
I take over the basement here, where I have an enormous king sized bed with my own bathroom.
I even have my own pookie bear to sleep with.


Tomorrow I am taking yarn with me to mark the left turn.

2 comments:

Pat said...

GOOD idea to use a trail marker!!!! I'd have been totally tired and would have cried, I think. At least you were smart enough to call your brother! LOL

Pat said...

Oh..yes...I think I will now call you "Little Girl Lost with a hat full of moss"........