Tuesday, November 18, 2014

The Incredible Journey

Quite honestly, this is a rant.  I am furious.
I think I have suffered from low thyroid for 24 years.
Unfortunately, your traditional doctor doesn't look at the numbers the same way that a Naturopathic doctor does.  I don't want to go through my long history of symptoms, but they are numerous.  When I go to see my doctor, there is a sign that says she can only address one complaint at a time.
This year, I finally had insurance, thanks to Obamacare, and I started going every 2 weeks.  The worst symptom, which came on in March, is edema throughout my body.   My abdomen looked like that of a pregnant woman in her 8th month.  The pressure on my lungs and ribs was extreme, making breathing difficult.  It was very uncomfortable and even painful.  Finally, a trip to the ER resulted eventually in a diagnosis of Hashimoto's Thyroiditis.  This is an autoimmune disease which results when you are not property treated for low thyroid.  If left untreated, it can result in death due to the edema putting pressure on the heart and lungs.  I am convinced this is what my mother died of.  I thought of her constantly as I watched my own decline.

So, I found an incredible Naturopathic doctor who specializes in Thyroid.  She has me on a plan and says there will be a 6-8 week recovery.  She said she was sorry, that seems like a long time, and I said, are you kidding?  After 4 years of trying to get a doctor to listen to me, this seems like a Christmas present!

I was talking to another woman one day who had a similar story.  It took her about 4 years to get a doctor to prescribe thyroid meds.  She had waited two months for an appointment with an endocrinologist.  During her appointment, while she was describing her symptoms, he says to her:
"You know, I am really busy.  You are lucky to be here"
She was shocked.  And, she walked out.
This is what happens to so many of us.
So, enough of that.

Here is a picture of all of the supplements I am taking.  I have low adrenal function, my hormones are all messed up and I cannot control my body temperature, and my mineral and vitamin levels are extremely low.  Oh, yeah, I'm also losing my hair.

One of the things that goes wrong with an autoimmune disease is the inability to absorb nutrients in the digestive tract.  This makes a gluten free diet very important.  Through testing, I also found out I am sensitive to dairy and some fruits.  (pineapple and bananas).
On Sunday, I started the Paleo Leap Diet.  I only have to do this for three weeks, and can then start adding back in foods that are normally allowed to see what my reactions are.

The foods that I cannot consume for three weeks are:
eggs
Dairy
Sugar
Alchohol
Grains
Legumes
Nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant and any spices from peppers)
Corn
Nuts and seeds

You might say, what can you eat?  Well, a friend taught me to concentrate on what I CAN eat.  Make a list, and you will be amazed.

Last night I made crab cakes with no crumb filler, no egg, no mayonnaise, and no panko crumbs for coating.  They were delicious!!
I think next time I will make a sauce with some orange juice.
Of course, I have become quite a good cook the past year, and working with gluten and dairy free, I've had a bit of an indoctrination.

I will be blogging about my healing and my cooking for awhile.  More and more people are coming to realize the impact of gluten on their bodies, and I will be sharing recipes that have been successful for me.  So far, I can't seem to make a decent pie crust.

3 comments:

Cathy said...

Wow! I'm glad you're on the road to recovery. I would be very upset if my doctor didn't listen to me. But he does, which is why I have been going to him for 31 years. A pox on doctors who are only focused on themselves!

Cathy said...

PS - I, too, was grateful for Obamacare. But now Bruce is working again (his post-retirement fun job) and we have full benefits.

Gene Black said...

I am amazed at the attitudes of some doctors. Only addressing one complaint at a time leads to major mis-diagnosis. More frequently, patients don't tell the doctor enough to allow them to make a proper diagnosis. I would think a medical board AND the insurance companies would be interested to see how that doctor is compounding problems by treating "only one complaint"

I am glad that you are finally getting some relief.