Friday, February 4, 2011

Busy of a Different Sort




As you can see, the new barn kitties are adjusting well to their new responsibilities.  HA.  Actually, they do spend most nights in the barn, nestled in their warm alpaca bed on the top shelf of my fiber storage racks.  They love it out there.  But, they also love me.  I like to let them in the house for a couple of hours each night for comic relief.  Leroy hates them, and Fred is either intriqued or frightened by them.  Bottom line is, shuffling four cats around is chaotic.

Much progress is being made here, with the sale of several more alpacas, and so many friends coming to help me.  Sunday a friend organized a work party, and we got the barn all cleaned out and organized for the memorial service.  Then on Wednesday, I went to Cash and Carry to buy all of the dishes, bowls, cups, soup spoon, napkins, etc. for the memorial service.  Yesterday a friend took me out to lunch and to my favorite thrift shop.  I'm sure you are getting the picture my days are not empty and lonely.

This has been my biggest headache.  When I discovered the black mold growing on my walls, I did not hesitate to have the 88 year old single pane windows replaced.  The house also has no overhangs on the roof, nor gutters, so the rain just runs down the sides of the house.  The siding is pretty much rotten and will have to all be replaced when I do my add-on, in addition to putting in some insulation.  For now, the windows are finished, with nice wide sills that I can put plants on and kitties can roost on to look out at the squirrels and birds.  Today my friend and I are going to try to pick out colors to paint the room.  She loves to paint.  I do not.



Above is the post card we sent out to friends, family, and associates for Alan's Memorial.  I have a committee of friends and family members who are planning this for me.  The love and caring brought to me by the community has been overwhelming, and I have no desire to live anywhere else.  I wish you could all join us in this celebration of his life.

To all of you who have sent cards and heartfelt wishes my way, I thank you.  This is going to be a long haul, and I treasure my friendships, both locally and in bloggerville.  I can feel your arms wrapped around me, and God answers prayers.  I know.

8 comments:

John'aLee said...

I'm so glad you posted! I've been wondering about how you are doing. You are in my thoughts and prayers. I'm so glad you are keeping busy and that you have those around you to keep you lifted up in this hard and sorrowful time. A big hug to you!

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

It is good to see the progress and feel the generosity of all your friends. And being busy helps I'm sure.

The kittens are so cute and a lot of fun!!!

andsewon said...

So happy to see you post. Those kitties are adorable!I reckon staying busy is a way to keep moving forward with your life but also holding dear the sweet memories.
If I could I would be there on the 26th but too far for me to go! Will be thinking of you though!
Hugs,
Lola

Gene Black said...

Hi Linda, I am so glad to hear from you. It is good to see that you are surrounded with a good support network.
the cats are adorable

Micki said...

I am glad that you are getting so much support from friends. Good luck with the painting and renovations.
Micki

Cathy said...

I had been thinking of you a lot this week, wondering how you were doing, so was very glad to see you post to let us know. Gee, I will be in Spokane that week, but am leaving for home on Friday the 25th. However, you know that your online friends will be with you in spirit, just as Alan will. Love and hugs to you, Cathy

ooglebloops said...

The picture on your postcard couldn't be more perfect! It is wonderful that you have so many friends and family right there to hold you up.

Those kittens are ADORABLE!!! I love the way one is asleep and just oozing off the edge!!!LOL

Pat said...

I'm glad people realize what a special person you are and are doing everything they can to help you AND to keep you busy. I think of you often and do wish I could be at that memorial service.