Sunday, January 9, 2011

Kittens

I was cleaning out the milk house the other day, and found we had a colony of mice living in there.  Hmmmm.  Alan and I had discussed getting another barn cat after Phoebe died, but he didn't want another.  He'd been setting traps for rats all winter.  When I discovered the mice, I called:  MouseBusters!!!  A friend had been trying to give us two kittens for a couple of months, so I said, bring them on.  She arrived yesterday with a boy and a girl, both neutered.
This is Gracie




And this is George.  You can tell they will be good hunters because they have built in camoflauge uniforms.

I set the kids out in the barn with food and water, and they commenced to have a grand time.  They spent the night out there okay, but today they decided to wander.  They followed me everywhere.
I've been having alot of trouble sleeping and took two pills last night.  I slept 5 hours and work up feeling drunk and sleepy, and have felt that way all day.  I spent most of the day inside napping and knitting.  It's been quite cold, and the wind is strong from the north, so I got worried about George and Gracie.  I bundled up in my warm clothes and went looking for them.
Sure enough, they were hunkered down in the old shop and very scared.  So, I gave in and brought them in the house for the night.  I have forgotten what it is like to have kittens in the house.  They are like rolling thunder, flying around and getting into everything.  What a delight.  Fred and Leroy are not at all happy.  Guess they will spend the night pouting on the back porch.

I bought this braid of peppers at the Pike Place Market when we were there over the holidays.  I think it looks just grand hanging there in the window.

Here are some yarns I've finished in the past few weeks.  I finished this one today:
I miss my Mom terribly right now.  She lost my Dad when he was only 59.  I feel as if I am re-living her life.  I know I am doing many of the same things she did.  But it seems to be working.  I am blessed with loving and caring friends who check on me regularly, and I have learned to ask for help.
Ooops, I am hearing the strangest sounds.  I'd better go check on the two hellions.


10 comments:

Pat said...

HAHAHA...I had to laugh that you called them the two hellions. I think they will be good company for you right now and let's hope they DO their job of "mousebusting", also! Pretty pepper braid and pretty yarns, too.

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Now that will keep you busy. And I hope that they keep the mice down out in the barn. I was told by a farmer's wife that the bigger the ears, the better the mouse catcher.

Pretty peppers!!! They sure do cheer up the window. Do you have much snow?

Kaye said...

Good to hear from you again. Those 2 look like they are going to keep you busy. Good job with the yarn, colors are so soft looking. Peppers look yummy,almost too nice to eat!

Barb said...

You are an amazing woman of strength and inspiration.

I do love that pepper braid and glad you are keeping busy but I have not known you to sit still too long.

Gene Black said...

I love the kitties.

It is good to hear that there are plenty of people there to check on you and help you. I feel that way especially since I can't be there.

Anonymous said...

This is a heartwarming post, love that you are delighting in your new little lives bouncing around you. Enjoy them, they grow up so fast, but they will become loving and peaceful "purr in your lap" companions.

Julie said...

Too fun about the kittens! Enjoy them even if they are hellions! I love your yarns, absolutely gorgeous. Now if only I had time to knit I would want some!

Pat said...

So happy you have the gorgeous George and Gracie and that you let them in the house! Hah! They are irresistible. Glad you have such close and loving friends and neighbors. Take care.

Cathy said...

What a delightful post. It is good to hear from you again and that you are taking joy in the simple things like darling kitties and the awesome pepper braid. I love those yarns, too. And I know what you mean about missing your mom ... I don’t think we ever get over needing moms. Take care of yourself, dear one! Hugs, Cathy

Lindabee said...

So happy to see you back with us again. Some days I'd be lost without my cats, but others I pretend they're not here. Just know that you are still loved -- just differently.